Friday, May 20, 2016

Cheerful Rain Boots and May Showers - Clean & Layered Card

We are finally getting our "April" rain here. 
Someone must have forgotten to tell Mother Nature
to flip her calendar because this April and May have,
until recently, been two of the driest we can remember in our region.
The birds are out enjoying themselves tremendously though and
my bird-watching buddies and I have really enjoyed observing them.
 
And thank goodness I found some rain boots that fit the boys
a few weeks ago, because this spring rain
has been just right for stomping. 


 
All together, It's put me in a happy rainy mood.
So here you are....
  

I triple-masked a single boot and sentiment stamp to make this card.
First the foreground boot, masking off the sentiment.
Next the background boot, masking off the first boot.
I did this twice in order to fussy cut one set and get some dimension.  Then
I masked around the pair of boots to do the gray rain splatters
using Altenew's snow mini-stamp.
The sentiment is actually the side-piece of the mask, which has been
overstamped a couple of times.  I didn't bother to include the whole thing,
since the "April Showers Bring May Flowers" saying
pops to mind as soon as you see even portions of the words.

 
My clouds are hand-cut and then I used a tissue wiped in
London Fog Memento ink to streak some very light shadows and cloudbursts.
 
 The sunshine is a fussy-cut flower center from the Happy Day Papertrey ink set.

Here are the challenges!  I particularly liked the layered
triangles of this sketch, and that's what gave me the idea to mask all the elements
instead of a more straightforward stamp-and-go approach.  I still have some
more ideas brewing for this sketch though, so CAS{E} hasn't seen the last of me this week ;).
 
 
 
PALS Paper Arts #301: Color challenge from Rae Harper
Great colors, what can I say?
Aqua I've always loved.  Yellows are a fairly new thing for me,
but I like it. I'm not so much a pop-of-pink decorator in my home or wardrobe,
but the mustard yellows I really enjoy. 
Just ask my fabric stash sometime.
 
Other challenges:
 
*I can assure you that 'blots and splashes' were CERTAINLY on my mind
 on this rainy rainy day as the boys put their rain boots on...
and came in for an early bath.  Splish splash everywhere!
 
 The aqua misting rain on the inside is difficult to pick out in this photo...
my apologies.

 
Materials Used on this Card:
Cardstock {White; Aqua mist - Papertrey Ink}  
Stamps {Studio G; Altenew; Papertrey Ink}
Inks {glacier Lake - Colorbox; London Fog - Memento;
Harvest gold, Lemon Tart - Papertrey Ink}
Glossy Accents {Ranger}
Sparkle embossing powder {Recollections}


Thank you SO MUCH for visiting!
I hope you will take just a second and
enter for my Spring Giveaway before you go.
I've opened the giveaway to both US and
International crafters as well.
Picture and link are on my right-hand sidebar. :)
 
Take care,
Be well,
and enjoy the rainshowers!

--Kathryn
 
 

11 comments:

  1. Ah, your boys are adorable splashing in their new Wellies, Kathryn! And did I read on your give-away page that you're nesting? Congratulations and all best wishes!! (It's very generous, BTW! I only didn't join as I'm in a state of over-abundance on this end!) As for your card: I love it! You put a lot of work and love into it and it shows!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card, both inside and out. And your boys look to be having lots of fun in the puddles
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great card!! I love your hand cut clouds and the puddle turned out fantabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely take on our theme and love that you took inspiration from your litter ones, many thanks for joining us at Vintage Stamping Challenges.

    I have some Tattered Lace goodies to be won here

    Have a good Sunday.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sons seems to enjoy the rain thoroughly, they are so sweet Kathryn. The card echoes their joy perfectly, the design is very clever.

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this is a great idea... super inspiration. The card is very beautiful.
    Thanks for joining us at FSC.
    Greets Carola

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! I especially love the creative raindrops. Genius! Thank you for playing with the color team this week for PPA301!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that you used your daily life as the inspiration for your card! The card is fabulous. I especially love those darling boots! Thanks so much for joining us for the Pals Paper Arts Color Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karen, I was just popping over to say thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely comments. I see that you have linked this great card up to our challenge at FSC, just love those boots and rain drops, Thanks for sharing,
    Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely card - love the layout and use of these colors. Great pictures, too! Thanks for playing along with this week's Pals Paper Arts Color Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card theme for enjoying the boys' pictures! Boots and splatter... what fun! Thanks for including the PPA in your stamping fun this week!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments -- they add an extra smile to my day. I hope yours is happy and bright as well, no matter where you are visiting from!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails